Does the Maxi-Cosi Zelia 5-in-1 Modular Travel System live up to the hype? We answer this question and many more as we explore how this versatile 4-wheel travel system delivers when it comes to safety, convenience, style, comfort, and ease of use.
We promise you that searching for a travel system doesn’t have to be difficult or time-consuming and we’ve got you covered! This review will give you a good idea if this travel system will work for you and your family. If you’re after a travel system best suited for urban living, this Maxi-Cosi travel system could be the one for you.
Below is a quick summary of the Maxi-Cosi Zelia 5-in-1 Modular Travel System:
- Customizable and versatile travel system that offers 5 modes of usage.
- Features premium, self-wicking fabrics to keep your child comfortable.
- Includes the lightweight Maxi-Cosi Mico 30 infant car seat.
- Easy and quick to assemble with no tools required.
- Engineered and tested to meet or exceed Federal US Safety Standards.
Check out what we believe is the best travel system and infant car seat here.
What Are The Key Features of the Maxi-Cosi Zelia 5-in-1 Modular Travel System?
One of the main reasons why we find the Maxi-Cosi Zelia 5-in-1 Modular Travel System so impressive is due to the extensive amount of features included. These features prioritize your child’s safety and comfort while also being user-friendly and practical for parents.
Here are some of its key features that we believe are worth highlighting:
- 5 different modes of use, including parent-facing carriage, world-facing carriage, car seat carrier, parent-facing stroller, and world-facing stroller.
- Easy to clean premium self-wicking fabrics.
- Features an extra-large storage basket.
- Machine-washable and dryer-friendly car seat cover.
- Includes Cozi-Dozi head insert pillows for infants.
- A moveable and height-adjustable handle.
- Toe-tap rear brake.
- The infant car seat has a 2-year warranty from the date of manufacture.
- Allows for both rear and forward-facing riding in the stroller.
- An extra-large expandable canopy that includes a flip-out visor and a see-through window.
- Multi-recline stroller seat that fully reclines.
- One-click LATCH system
- Lockable swivel wheels.
- Available in 4 different colors and styles.
- An adjustable stay-in-car base.
- Self-standing fold.
- The infant car seat has an 8-year expiration date.
Will The Maxi-Cosi Zelia Travel System Fit In Your Vehicle? The Specifications
When it comes to the specifications of a travel system, you want to consider the measurements of both the stroller and the infant car seat in order to ensure that the stroller fits comfortably in your vehicle’s trunk while the car seat can be securely installed in your backseat. Below we have set out the exact specifications for both components of this travel system:
Maxi-Cosi Mico 30 infant car seat:
- Weight: 8.9 pounds (without base).
- Shell height: 21 inches.
- Base width: 16 inches.
- Car seat width: 18 inches.
- Lowest harness position: 6.5 inches.
- Four harness height slots: 7.5, 8.75, 10, and 11.25 inches.
- Crotch buckle positions: 4 and 6 inches.
Maxi-Cosi Zelia stroller:
- Weight: 21 pounds.
- Folded dimensions: 17″ L x 25.5″ W x 34″ H.
- Unfolded dimensions: 37″ L x 25.8″ W x 45″ H.
Parents love how lightweight the infant car seat is, making it easily portable and ideal for families who plan on regularly transferring the car seat between vehicles. Having a lightweight infant car seat also makes a big difference when it comes to extended carrying. While the Mico 30 infant car seat may be a bit long, it is relatively slim and may be ideal for 3-across car seat configurations. Of course, we recommend comparing measurements with your vehicle prior to purchasing.
The Zelia stroller is also lightweight, which many parents love as it allows them to easily lift the stroller in and out of their trunk. However, some parents found that it is too lightweight, making it feel flimsy. In the end, it may come down to your personal preference. When it comes to fitting the stroller in your vehicle, for small or compact vehicles this stroller will definitely take up most, if not all of your trunk space. For bigger vehicles, this should not be an issue.
Will Your Child Fit The Maxi-Cosi Zelia 5-in-1 Modular Travel System?
The Zelia 5-in-1 Modular Travel System accommodates infants, toddlers, and young children up to 50 pounds, whereas the Mico 30 infant car seat is suitable for infants weighing between 5 and 30 pounds and up to 32 inches in height.
The infant car seat is a great choice for smaller babies, including premature bubs thanks to its Cozi-Dozi head insert pillows and overall thick padding, which provides extra support and security for smaller infants. Another feature providing support to children in this travel system is the various recline stroller options to ensure the ultimate comfort for your child.
The maximum weight limit of 30 pounds for the infant car seat isn’t all that generous when you compare it with other car seats on the market. However, in saying that, parents found that their child was still able to ride in a rear-facing position past the 2-year minimum.
While the Zelia stroller’s maximum weight limit is 50 pounds, some parents found that the stroller seat was too small and felt that their child would outgrow the seat before reaching the 50-pound weight limit.
Is The Maxi-Cosi Zelia Travel System Easy To Setup And Install?
When it comes to the setup and assembly of the stroller component of the Zelia travel system, it really couldn’t be easier as no tools are required, simply snap together all parts. The infant car seat can be easily attached to the stroller with included adapters for a seamless transition from vehicle to stroller without disturbing your child.
With the number of different stroller modes available with this travel system, you might be worried about the potential difficulty transitioning between modes. However, parents found it relatively easy to alternate between each of the modes and found that they could easily convert within a matter of seconds.
In terms of adjustment, everything on this travel system can be adjusted with the push of a button. The most difficult adjustment you’ll face is rethreading the harness, which will take more time than a no-rethread harness, but it will be easier to tighten to ensure your child’s security and safety.
While the installation of the infant car seat isn’t the easiest, it certainly isn’t difficult. Unfortunately, there is no seat belt lock-off mechanism and no recline angle indicator so when installing without the base you will need to install via your vehicle seat belt. We recommend installing with the base via the LATCH system as this infant car seat has push-on LATCH connectors, which are much easier to work with than hook-style connectors.
How Safe Is The Maxi-Cosi Zelia 5-in-1 Modular Travel System For Your Child?
This travel system surrounds your child in safety and protection, particularly the Maxi-Cosi Mico 30 car seat, which has been designed by car seat safety experts to both meet and exceed US Federal Safety Standards.
There are a number of safety features which provide ultimate protection, including the following:
- Easy to clean premium fabrics that are self-wicking to help keep your child dry on those warm summer days.
- A toe-tap brake on the rear right wheel to give you peace of mind.
- The front swivel wheels, which can be locked for simple straight-forward motion, which is incredibly useful when you’re stopped on an upward incline.
- A canopy that is expandable via a zipper extender, which not only has a peek-a-boo window enabling you to keep an eye on your bub but it also offers UV protection against the sun with a flip-out visor.
- When you have this travel system in the bassinet mode, there is a cover on the end of the bassinet to keep your child warm and protected from all the elements.
One major complaint from consumers was not being able to achieve a proper installation angle, where parents found that their child’s heads slumped too much, which could be a potential safety issue. Parents also reported that the stroller wheels and the height-adjustable stroller handle were flimsy. If these interfere with everyday functioning or you have safety concerns, we recommend contacting Maxi-Cosi immediately for a resolution.
The Zelia 5-in-1 Modular Travel System is not equipped with a child tray, meaning that you will constantly be having to reach into the storage basket or your diaper bag for your child’s snacks, drinks, and toys.
Unfortunately, Maxi-Cosi does not have a child tray on offer to purchase separately and this is where the Food ‘N Fun stroller snack tray is an absolute lifesaver. With heavy-duty, non-slip velcro, this stroller snack tray securely attaches to the stroller safety bar where your child can easily reach their snacks and toys. It features three insulated pockets for sippy cups, bottles, and snacks as well as a number of loops and elastic straps to hold toys.
This is an absolute must-have accessory for parents with kids who are in diapers. The Skip Hop portable changing mat allows you to change your child’s nappy no matter where you are, whether you’re out at the park or jogging with your child riding in the stroller, this will become your best friend.
It is available in 5 different patterns/styles and is big enough to hold up to 4 diapers with a translucent case for baby wipes. It’s also designed to keep your child comfy as you’re changing them with the pronto pillow. Simply clip this onto your wrist or your stroller and you’re ready to go.
As modular travel systems become more and more popular, we have decided to take a closer look at the Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System, which is another top-rated 4-wheel, multi-function travel system that acts as a great alternative to the Maxi-Cosi Zelia 5-in-1 Modular Travel System. The more affordable Evenflo Pivot Modular offers 6 different modes of usage that enables you to customize your child’s ride.
The Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System includes the incredibly lightweight Evenflo SafeMax Infant Car Seat, which has a weight range of 4 to 35 pounds and a height range of 17 to 32 inches.
This travel system has a slightly expanded color range, with 5 different color combinations available.
Here are some of its key features:
- 6 modes of usage, including a carriage mode, frame stroller, travel system, and toddler stroller.
- Removable child tray.
- Blanket boot.
- Integrated belt lock-off system.
- An anti-rebound bar.
- An extra-large storage basket.
- Large expandable canopy.
- Parent-friendly carrier handle.
- Versatile cruiser tires.
- Upfront harness adjustment for the infant car seat.
- Expandable canopy.
- One-hand fold system.
- Infant head support.
The Good: Versatile, lightweight infant car seat, and added safety with the anti-rebound bar.
The Bad: Maneuverability issues, quality control issues, and wide rear wheels.
As a child safety products company, Maxi-Cosi is dedicated to your child’s safety and comfort. The Maxi-Cosi Zelia 5-In-1 Modular Travel System reflects this by offering safety, style, ease of use, and comfort. We highly recommend this versatile travel system as we believe it is a great choice for most families. However, it is important to remember that this travel system is a bit pricier compared to other brands and lacks many convenient features. The only real setback when it comes to this travel system is that the seat is small and may not last your child up to the 50-pound weight limit.
To sum up our review, here are our pros and cons:
- Versatile with 5 modes of use.
- Simple stroller assembly with no tools required.
- Toe-tap rear bake.
- Lockable swivel wheels.
- Push-on connectors.
- Large storage basket.
- Higher price tag.
- Only 1 cup holder in the parent tray.
- No seat belt lock-off system.
- No level indicator on the stay-in-car base.